Powered by Blogger.

Psalms Circle

I spent the evening with my friend Nora. Nora and I belong to the same synagogue and the same scripture study group. We were organizing a Psalms Circle, a very traditional means of offering prayers for somone who is sick. This is a circle of prayers for healing. We join together in the recitation of all 150 psalms, or in Hebrew, tehillim. They are each recited daily (from midnight to 11:59 P.M.) -- in English, Hebrew or any language chosen.

Each person chooses one psalm for daily recitation. The psalm may be a favorite of yours or one that chosen after looking through the Book of Psalms. Another tradition is to choose the psalm that reflects your age. The recitation of psalms for those who are ill is a long tradition and one of great power and comfort.

When I began this blog in the winter, one of the things that was most troubling was that my dear friend, Barbara, was facing major surgery and a difficult diagnosis. The surgery was difficult, but successful, but the diagnosis has grown very bleak. Barbara is a wonderful person. She lives not quite a mile away and we share holidays, vacations, study, services, lunches, movies, prayer and reflection. This blog was going to be the happy, peppy blog, but this is just too big a piece of my life to omit. If any of my dear blog friends would like to join the psalm circle -- just one psalm once a day -- I would be delighted.

A little bit of Buttercup trivia -- my favorite psalm is psalm 126 and my favorite verse is verse 5,

"May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy!"

Blessings to all, dear gentle readers and a sweet night!

8 comments

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Buttercup dearie, I know what you mean. I like to have a "fun" bloggie, too, but how can a feeling person turn their back on real happenings, people's real pain, and just post light-hearted things ALWAYS? You just can't; it would be fake!

Sending wishes for a good outcome for your friend Barbara after all, or acceptance if it is not to be. I will write the psalms you like and put them on my prayer wheel tomorrow.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hello Buttercup! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I have read several of your posts to get to know you a little. Very sweet place you have here. I will be sure to visit again!

My favorite Psalm is 91. It has brought great encouragement to me on many occasions. I will remember your friend Barbara in my prayers.
Kindly, ldh

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR BUTTERCUP,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR STOPPING BY MY BLOG.
I HAVE READ A FEW OF YOUR POSTS AND I ENJOYED THEM VERY MUCH.
I TOO, WILL ADD BARBARA TO MY PRAYER LIST.
IT DOES HELP TO EACH DAY SEE THE POSITIVE BUT WHILE WE SEE THE POSITIVE WE HAVE TO REACH A HAND OUT TO THOSE LIVING IN A CLOUD OF A NEGATIVE
BALANCE. WE ARE TO BE GOD'S HAND EXTENDED.
BLESSINGS
HUGS
debbie

roy/elisabeth dean said...

My favorite Psalm is #31, vs 21
"Blessed be the Lord: for He hath showed me His marvelous kindness in a strong city".
That one keeps me going....
I will pray for Barbara~
♥,Lilly
ps, you've won my Tuesday package!

roy/elisabeth dean said...

Hi Carol!
I'm glad you're excited! I would LOVE to get this package in the mail to you tomorrow. Please email me your address
lilly7@knology.net
Thanks~
♥,Lilly

Buttercup said...

Thanks all so much for your prayers and thoughtfulness. Much, much appreciated!

LDH, I can't get access to your blog and I'd like to thank you there.

blushing rose said...

May Barbara be touched by the Lord to heal & be blessed. Prayers are lifted for her. Pop over & visit ... TTFN ~ Marydon

blushing rose said...

TY for coming by for a visit ... I hope my post lifted you, somewhat. Feel better today ... TTFN ~ Marydon