Powered by Blogger.

I Want a Skirt Just Like the Skirt I Wore in High School

This is a complete digression from my holiday album. I spent two hours at Macy's today, one of the biggest department stores anywhere, with floors of clothes for women. I had three goals. One was a wool sweater, which I accomplished. One was finding two cotton turtlenecks, which I didn't accomplish and the third was to find a wool skirt, preferably A-line. I have a black wool skirt and a green wool skirt and wanted either gray, brown or navy.

There were about 20 skirts in the store, most were not wool and only about three weren't black. I'm not counting on-sale cotton skirts in various bright colors, which will do me no good when it gets below freezing. When it's raining or snowing the leg of my pants is sopping by the time I get to work. It's not that way with a skirt.

I realize I want a skirt -- or two -- just like I had in high school. Have sensible wool skirts gone the way of the transistor radio or the hula hoop? Wait, the hula hoop has returned. Where are skirts? I know I can find them on line, but I like to try things on before I buy them.  Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Does everyone else wear pants all the time? Whatever happend to skirts?

8 comments

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I love dresses and skirts!!!! I wear lots of skirts!!!! Try Ann Taylor/ Ann Taylor LOft!!!!
hugs,
jamie
good luck on finding the perfect skirt!!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I used to wear skirts alot but now I find myself in pants most of the time too. You are right though when there is lots of snow...the legs do get wet.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Honey, if you think skirts are hard to find, try searching for a black cotton full slip -- the kind with the built-in bra...wow, THINGS of the PAST, for no good reason!!! Slips and skirts are NEEDED in these modern times!!!

M'dear, check Ebay. Try to get a wool skirt thru Ebay, or try Talbots or the Tog Shop -- ha ha, those are prolly things of the past, too...oh well m'dear...I wear ONLY dresses and skirts myself...

blushing rose said...

Only for dress would I bother with a skirt any more ... don't really miss them, nor high heels, nor ......... well, I guess I prefer casual dress best.

Please follow/join me @ our new blog ... the old one had issues.

Hope you had a lovely holiday.
TTFN ~Marydon

paulawannacracker said...

I think I have maybe two skirts in my closet... I used to wear dresses all the time but with the weight gain and my chubby knees... I would love to find a nice skirt that wasn't too short.

I too like to try things on so buyiing on line just isn't an option. The comment by Old Dame Penniwig was just too funny.

Teacherfish said...

You might try the Macy's in the Queens Center Mall (F train to Roosevelt and the local to 63) It seems to cater to the surrounding population which includes a large number of long skirt wearers for religious reasons (several different religions). A word of caution- Forbes rated it the second busiest mall in the US. The TeacherGuppies worked there in their college years and the holiday season is intense.
Let me know if you decide to go there we can meet for coffee or a bite at one of the many ethnic restaurants in the surrounding area.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Hey now, your blog looks so festive Buttercup! Pretty!
I had some wonderful A-Line skirts in the late 60's and was just thinking and talking about them the other day.
Why does fashion get rid of the great stuff that we all liked?

Chatty Crone said...

I have to say I wear pants - don't even own a skirt. I do own a couple of dresses. Sorry.