Powered by Blogger.

We're Going Ape for the Olympics


Le Monkee shows his support for the Olympic city

It's all about the Olympics these days in Buttercupland, including Le Monkee's Olympic themed attire. Le Monkee will watch just about anything, but Buttercup is more inclined to the skiing and speed skating. 

Contrary to a rumor floating around Blogville, Buttercupland will not be preparing a team for the 2014 Olympics. Le Monkee can dress the part, but we are not winter athletes. My own winter sports experiences are extremely limited. I have gone downhill skiing once in 1965. That's right, once. On this one day, I stood at the top of a miniature hill, in perhaps the only ski slope in CT, and looked down thinking, "I don't like speed and I don't like heights, and I don't like cold." With that thought I somehow made it down the hill, took off my skis and then and there abandoned my Olympics career. I had spent the morning falling in snow and having a miserable time.  It is not a decision about which I have any regret.  

The only exception I made to this resolution was in 1999. I accompanied my friends Pat and Judy to the Canadian Rockies for a week of cross country skiing. Pat, with whom I've also traveled to Spain, Israel and Jordan, is a great friend to travel with. She convinced me that cross country is easier than downhill and that I would love it. Love overstates my reaction, but I did have a great time during the week. We were just a few miles from the site where the cross country competitions took place at the Calgary Olympics, and the area was beautiful. I skied four times, with my greatest success skiing halfway around Lake Louise. I even took a dog sled ride -- never have been so cold in my life -- and had a great afternoon in the spa at the Banff Springs Hotel. It was a terrific vacation, but I once again realized I am not Olympics material.

What are your favorite Olympics events? Do you go ape for the Olympics, too?

9 comments

Chatty Crone said...

I have to be honest, I am much more of a summer olympic spectator. The winter olympics look so pretty, yet so darn cold! I do appreciate all the hard work and the skill they have. It takes a lot of dedication and hard work - not sure I would be able to do that - on many different levels!

Sandie

paulawannacracker said...

I'm embarassed to admit but I have not been following the Olympics. I tune in each morning to the "Today Show" and get the updates. Glad to see USA is taking the lead.

I admire all the athletes. My son almost made it to the olympics (boxing) and I know the hours and the hard work that goes into training. Love yoru little bear's attire.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Haven't they been something to watch?
Hubby and I watched the bobsleds on Friday night, and we held our breath and exhausted ourselves....watching!
You've done a lot of winter sports and seen a lot of the world too...good for you girl!

West Side of Straight said...

Love the winter Olympics - and have enjoyed watching all, but favorite is Shawn White I think. He sure is enjoing himself. Love all of it. Will be sad when it's all done.

'Nelley said...

Yay Olympics. I watch it 24-7 and I love them all. No favourite sports cuz they're ALL my favourites!

Country Whispers said...

I haven't really tuned in much to the Olympics this year. What little that I did revolved around skiing.

Simply Debbie said...

DEAR BUTTERCUP,
THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR THE SWEET CARD AND VISITING MY BLOG YESTERDAY.
I GO APE FOR THE OLYMPICS WINTER AND SUMMER....I LOVE...SNOWBOARDING, ICE DANCING, BOBSLEDS, DOWN HILL SKIING, THE AERIALS......I HAVE EVEN STARTED TO ENJOY CURLING....I LOVE IT ALL....I LIKE CROSS COUNTRY SKIING BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE STOP AND SHOOT 5 TIMES, AND SPEED SKATING (WAS A TAD CONTACT THIS YEAR WOULD YOU NOT SAY).........
I HATE SNOW...I HATE THE COLD BUT I LOVE THAT THEIR ARE OLYMPIANS WHO TRAIN FOR THE WINTER OLYMPICS......I LOVE THE OLYMPICS MORE THAN MY DH...I HAVE NEVER BEEN ON SNOW SKIIS BUT I USE TO WATER SKI...MY DH WOULD RATHER WATCH THE SCI-FI CHANNEL....I GET NOTHING OUT OF THOSE MOVIES.
HAVE A GOOD WEEK BUTTERCUP
LOVE AND HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Anonymous said...

I so want to join a curling club :)

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I've never skied or done wintry sports either. Just don't like the snow, at all, in the least. If the Olypmics had something like a Rocker or Hammock Snoozing division, I'd be there...I know I could take the gold in the Snoozing on the Porch division...