Powered by Blogger.

In Memory of Leiby


If there is a mission statement for Buttercupland it is to be upbeat and try to find all that is positive in the world. I work at this and many more times than not, the mood here is upbeat, grateful and happy. But there are times the real world comes rushing in and my thoughts are far from upbeat and happy. Tonight is one of those times.

In New York -- and in many other places -- our thoughts and prayers are with the family of eight year old Leiby Kletzky. Walking home from day camp on Monday he was kidnapped and brutally murdered. This tragedy is the headline of every newspaper and the lead for every newscast. It is also personal as I work with a group in the neighborhood that was an integral part of the search for Leiby earlier this week. The neighborhood is bright and bustling. Streets are busy and there are mothers and children everywhere. It feels so safe.

I have no words of wisdom of my own. None. I can only offer my tears and prayers for Leiby's family and community, and a few words from one of my favorite Psalms.

"May those who sow in tears reap with shouts of joy!" 
Psalm 126:5

   

7 comments

Chatty Crone said...

I hadn't heard - I am so sorry.

Melinda said...

Soo sorry to hear of this.

Melinda

Barbara F. said...

A child that age is so trusting......all we can do is pray. There are no words for this senseless act of violence. xo,

Mimi said...

I HEARD this story and it literally RIPPED my heart out. HOW Can people BE SOOOO MEAN SPIRITED and so inspired by the devil to do such a thing???What happened to a conscience people????
OH gosh, how can that family ever get over this???
MY heart aches for you my dear sweet friend.
Let us all keep a closer eye on our loved ones.
Hugs,
jamie

Lorraine said...

This story is so tragic. I wanted to talk about it with my husband, but he stopped me because he didn't want to get upset. I admit I'm a hovering mother of a 16 year old and whenever she's out of my sight, I worry.

Lynda said...

This was such a horrible senseless tragedy. Just when we think we've heard the worst things we can imagine, there comes something to top it.
Looking at the news stories, the good thing was seeing the community's love and support for this family.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This was such a tragedy! Unfortunately the man who did this horrendous act appears to be mentally ill. It is hard to defend against madness like that. Thank goodness they caught him!