Powered by Blogger.

In Honor of Number...

42

If you had gone to Google yesterday you would have seen a drawing of Jackie Robinson, the first African-American to play in major league baseball. It commemorated what would have been his 94th birthday. He first played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947 and retired from major league baseball in 1956, well before I became aware of baseball. One of the highways in New York City was renamed for him, and sometimes it's easy to forget there was a real person behind "the Jackie Robinson."  



The picture captured my interest and I finished reading his biography in total awe of the man and the baseball player. It also reminded me of my love for baseball. I learned that the rotunda at CitiField -- where the Mets play in Queens -- is the Jackie and Rachel Robinson Rotunda. I think there's a field trip coming in the spring and research into other sights to visit that celebrate baseball in New York City. And for those of us who are baseball fans...58 days until the season opener on March 31! Any other baseball fans in Buttercupland? 

11 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I really am not much of a sports fan but I love it when baseball season starts. A sure sign warmer weather is coming. March 31st may still be cold, but we'll hope for sunny weather!

The Old Parsonage said...

A field trip does sound wonderful. I'm not a baseball fan, but am surrounded by them. So, if it's on the TV I read or craft while they enjoy!

Leann

Thanks for stopping by!

Theresa said...

What a great player and man! My Grandson dressed up like him one day for something they had at school! We learned about him:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Valerie said...

Hi Carol! Thanks so much for dropping by and leaving your kind words! Stay healthy...and drink that delicious hot tea!

Yes, I am a huge baseball fan! Although I have never experienced baseball on the East Coast, I am a true blue (should I say RED?!) ST. LOUIS CARDINALS baseball fan. I grew up in the Gateway City and although I have lived in Kansas City for over 20 years, I just can not give up my allegiance to the Cardinals. (Doesn't help that the KC Royals stink! LOL)

Always love to see Spring Training reports and the countdown to Opening Day!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Stay warm,

Val

Unknown said...

Too bad they don't have baseball in the UK. I'll just have to settle for cricket.

Susie said...

I like baseball. I just wish it were more like the old days. I used to watch with my father on Saturday afternoons. I once saw a beautiful statue of Jackie Robinson , in Florida. I can't recall the city where this ball parkis. I think it was a little league park. xoxo,Susie

Ms Sparrow said...

I think the most impressive thing about Jackie Robinson is that he took so much horrible racist abuse and still remained a good guy!

Keetha Broyles said...


Speaking of number 42 - - - I have one bloggy friend who goes by 42N 'cause that's his latitude line! He's from "way out" in Iowa.

Nellie said...

Oh, yes! I am a baseball fan! I listened to the games on the radio when I was a child and knew all about Jackie Robinson and the Dodgers - my favorite team in those days!

Melinda said...

Looking forward to the upcoming baseball season!

M :)

Pondside said...

I like baseball the same way I like hockey - local, and preferably played by kids. That's the real thing!