Powered by Blogger.

Remembering Hurricane Sandy

I know exactly where I was last October 29 at 11:03 p.m. I was with my work friends and colleagues watching a very fuzzy television set. We were spending the night in a Howard Johnson motel near our office. We watched the destruction of the New Jersey Shore and parts of our own beloved city. I felt I was watching a disaster movie, but the disaster wasn't fiction.

One of the areas of New York City that experienced a great deal of destruction was Breezy Point, where there was flooding and wind damage, as well as the destruction of one hundred and thirty homes by fire. My friends were restoring a beach cottage there and I had visited on a beautiful Sunday just a week before. But a week later Jamaica Bay met the Atlantic Ocean and flooded everything in between.

This pretty scene became history. 

My friend shared the story of what happened to his house and has spent the last year rebuilding. The house once again has walls, a bathroom, a kitchen and a much more solid foundation. I visited last weekend and the scene of destruction shown in the link was replaced by this scene. 

New walls and new floors


 The lines above and to the left of the lock show the level of the flooding.   


To the memory of those who died and in tribute to those who have worked and continue to work to restore the areas and services that were destroyed. My deepest gratitude. 

11 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's hard to believe that was a year ago already. I think there is much yet to be done there. We tend to forget quickly how devastating storms like that are.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's hard to believe that was a year ago already. I think there is much yet to be done there. We tend to forget quickly how devastating storms like that are.

Theresa said...

I have watched the news on TV about how far the area has come to recover! I am happy that your friend is getting his place back to normal:) I remember his story! Have a blessed day dear friend, BIG HUGS!

Linda said...

It is hard to believe it has been a yr. I can remember when Hurricane Katrina hit,and then our area got hit with a EF 5 Tornado that wiped out the area, never ever want to be in that position again. --ANYWAYS-prayers going out to all who are affected.

Nadine_Feldman said...

What a frightening storm! We kept watching the storm build in size and strength. My husband's daughter lives in Queens, and though we lived in Houston for many years, she was never there during a hurricane. My husband did, however, lose a house during a tropical storm (Allison, 2001). The family was out of town at the time, and so came home to the damage. So, at least she knew of a storm's potential and took Sandy seriously.

The devastation in some parts of your area was heartbreaking. I know there's still a lot of rebuilding to be done...it's a slow process. Be well and safe.

Nellie said...

I remember very well when this storm occurred and the damage it did to your area. I continue to send encouraging wishes to those who are involved in the rebuilding process.

Incidentally, a very nice note arrived in yesterday's mail! Thank you, Buttercup! xo

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The "night of Sandy" was a wild one and although our damage was minimal, I will always remember how frightened we were.

It is good to see all the rebuilding going on but it will take years to completely be restored. So many people are still fighting the insurance companies. Their stories are so sad.

Susie said...

Carol, All the people of that horrid storm are still in my prayers. It truly seem impossible to bring things back as they were before that night. So much loss. Blessings to you and your friends. xoxo,Susie

TARYTERRE said...

It's going to take much more than a year to undo the damage there. My hat is off to those steadfastly working to bring some sense of normalcy back. So sad all that was lost.

Mevely317 said...

Not once, but twice you've had a front-row seat to horrible history. Unbelievable.
Thanks for sharing your friend's update! I think this helps those of us outside the audience understand a bit more.

Hugs,
Myra

Marie Rayner said...

It's hard to believe a year has already passed. WE are very blessed in the UK to only ever very rarely experience such extremes in weather. Love and hugs to you. xxoo