Powered by Blogger.

And Out Like a Lion...

I know that March is supposed to end, like a lamb. This March ended just as it began, like a lion. Despite the nicer days we've been having, this afternoon was just another winter day. It was cold, rainy and generally miserable. I wore my lightest winter coat, but I could have used a heavier one and I definitely needed my gloves. Alas...

In the midst of these last, lingering days of winter I saw the sight I have been most eager to see.

In a flower bed on Fifth Avenue, my first sign of spring!
 
 
Today was my last lecture on Japanese art at the Metropolitan Museum and I would be remiss if I didn't share a picture I took this morning. I'm back with my old friend, Louis Comfort Tiffany.
 
 
I've shared his work in stained glass, but in this post I want to share a favorite of his work in glass tile. This is "Garden landscape and fountain," which originally was featured at the Tiffany showrooms. 
 
I'm excited about my special day tomorrow. It's still a surprise, but I've got a little hint. I'm humming all day in anticipation. I'll be posting about it tomorrow and that's no fooling.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care! 


12 comments

Pondside said...

I'll be back to learn about the special day!
I hope your winter weather is soon only a memory and that you're seeing lots of bulbs popping up.

TARYTERRE said...

I have never seen any of Tiffany's glass tile work. That piece is extraordinary, indeed.

Sola Scriptura said...

What a beautiful sign of spring! I look forward to your next post. You have me very curious :)

The Cranky said...

Those first signs of the world greening-up are the very definition of hope.

Enjoy your surprise!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Temperatures are "supposed" to rise tomorrow. Have faith.

Lovely glass tile art.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It was the same here with March. It pretty much went out as it came in. Happy April Fools Day!

Kerin said...

Nice to see the little signs of spring :)
It's good to know, it will just get warmer now... there's no turning back **smile**.

Beautiful work of art! Stunning really!!

Have a happy 1st day of April :)

~K.

Annesphamily said...

We are suppose to get to 70 today and snow tomorrow and Friday! LOL! I have seen a few signs of Spring but the weeds are flourishing! UGH! I love seeing your sweet photo! I am always prepared with a jacket because you just never know! I reminded my hubby to take his medium weight jacket because it is going to rain by the time he leaves his office this evening! Love hearing about your lecture and enjoyed the photo, so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Susie said...

Buttercup, I love the Tiffany piece. How wonderful that you have some many wonderful things near to you, to enjoy. Hope you are getting some warmer weather. It was truly great here today. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Ida said...

Isn't it wonderful to see those first signs of spring. We are of course much further along with spring here then you. - That is a lovely painting.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That's wonderful that you live so close to the Metropolitan. I loved the Vermeer photos you posted.

Nellie said...

I'm late reading this post! Missed it someway! What a wonderful opportunity you have with the Art Museum!