Powered by Blogger.

Delicious Maine Pink Saturday

The wonderful Pink Saturday has now officially become Anything Goes Pink Saturday. I appreciate the freedom to post more widely, but I have so enjoyed looking for my favorite color, that I am going to continue the search and my pink posts. I didn't find a lot of pink in Maine, but I do have one pink picture to share and in what I know will be popular, photographs of some of my favorite eating adventures ever. I've -- more or less -- returned to a less indulgent diet, but the memories of meals in Maine linger on.

     Though this isn't food, it was one of our first stops after I landed in Portland. It was the first of several farm stand visits -- corn, blueberries and tomatoes were at the top of the shopping list -- and the pink glads caught my attention.  
 
I am a lobster fan, but no more so than when I am at the shore. Our first lobster meal was at McLoons in South Thomaston, Maine. This is lobster country and we walked to the restaurant from the cottage.
 
The lobster roll was a treat, served with a butter in a toasted roll, chips and homemade slaw. We split a piece of peach for dessert, but in a moment of restraint skipped the a la mode. 
 

I was always on the lookout for blueberry pie, but the peach was delicious. 
 
The food was a treat, but the setting on the water was an equal delight.

The fog was beginning to roll in. It would linger for the next four days.
 
It stayed throughout our visit to Bar Harbor and Jordan Pond House at Acadia National Park. Cadillac Mountain at Acadia and most of the scenery on our boat ride to Little Cranberry Island were hidden in mists of fog, but I still saw some fabulous scenery and it didn't diminish the quality of the food.
 
One of the treats of the Jordan Pond House is their popovers and I ate mine before I thought to take photographs. My entree was a delicious fish chowder -- haddock, clams and scallops -- and dessert was blueberry crisp with homemade ice cream. It's one of my most memorable meals anywhere, and the dessert is definitely one of the most photogenic. 
 

Fish chowder and blueberry tea -- Maine food at its best.
 
And yes, it is as good as it looks.
 
The best (lightly) fried fish and onion rings imaginable. I like onion rings, but for calories, and the disappointment of frozen onion rings, I rarely eat them. But I am so glad I made an exception for these homemade and fabulous ones at Cindy's in Freeport. We stopped here on the way to the airport for my trip home. A perfect culinary farewell to my visit to Maine. 
 
 
This post could well turn into a dissertation, and I will just mention blueberry pancakes in Port Clyde and clam strips in South Thomaston. It's no wonder that I have had a tough week returning to a less calorie laden eating style. But return I have and just in time to keep my clothes zipping. I've got my first apple sauce of the season simmering on the stove. I'm not rushing fall, but the new apples look so good.
 
I hope everyone is enjoying this summer weekend. My prayers for all who may be in Erika's path. As ever thanks for visiting and have a sweet Saturday.



10 comments

Mevely317 said...

Oh dear, now my spit's spouting! :)
Unfortunately, some 9-10 years ago I developed a shell-fish allergy. Lovely to look at, all the same!

How I'd love to have a print of your 4th photo hanging in my bedroom. I've always been mesmerized by fog.

Linda said...

Oh my!!!!! My mouth is watering....thanks for sharing, Buttercup. Always a pleasure. Blessings

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Your beautiful photography has started my day off being very hungry.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow Carol your Maine trip and food looks so amazing. Thanks for sharing your trip and food photos.
Have a nice Monday.
Julie

Terra said...

Delicious food and pretty water scenes; now that is a true vacation.

Sola Scriptura said...

Your pictures are fantastic! I especially like the one with the fog, it's beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Oh Carol, what fun and sweet pictures! How lovely to relax and enjoy, my friend :) Hugs to you!

Susie said...

Buttercup...where's the best place for sea food?? I think you found it. LOL. It all looks so tasty. Love the foggy pictures. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Paula said...

Oh my gosh! I want to eat now!! All of these pictures are wonderful. I have never been to Maine. But I want to go and gorge myself with lobster. And a dish of that blueberry dessert. Very nice!!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Oh how I loved seeing pictures of your trip to Maine. I love love Maine and would move there in a minute if I could.
Great post. Love all your pics and stories.
Glad I came by
Love
Maggie