Powered by Blogger.

The Return of Stagedoor Buttercup

Linda Lavin has been one of my favorite actors since I first saw her in "Alice," which first debuted in 1976. I've had the good fortune to also see her in a number of plays, including her most recent Broadway show, Our Mother's Brief Affair. In this four person play, she is the dazzling center, and I very much enjoyed this look at family, history and memory.

I've had the good fortune during my recent theater adventures to meet a number of my favorite actors after the show. I -- and usually many others -- stand by the stage door after the show for the opportunity for a photograph of the actors, an autographed program and if, unusually fortunate, a photograph with the actors. On Tuesday night I was the only person waiting at the stage door. I'm sure it wasn't for lack of interest, but the theater was small and the night was cold and windy. I was dressed for a night in Siberia -- my fleece hat is in my tote bag -- so fifteen minutes on West 47th Street was not a problem.

 I took pictures of the street while I waited. I was just a little west of the bright lights of Broadway.

Well worth the wait!
 
Linda Lavin couldn't have been nicer. We chatted for a minute, I got my signed program and one of my favorite pictures of all time. I realize it's a rare day or evening when I will have this good fortune, but it's the experience that brings me back to the stage door every time. Thanks, Linda Lavin, you've made this theater goer very happy. 
 
 
Still cold and windy in New York City. We're expecting what may be record setting cold over the weekend. I'm going to cozy up with a cup (or cups) of coffee and my endless to-read list. What are your weekend plans?
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!
 

8 comments

Barb said...

I remember seeing Henry Fonda at a stage door a long time ago when I was roaming at night in New York. Another time, I watched as a movie starring Pacino was shot on a night street. That's a great photo. You both look bundled for the cold. I'm going to Denver this weekend for a special Valentine dinner with my husband. Strangely enough, the weather is supposed to be mild.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Carol, you have a fascinating life. I thank you for sharing it! It seems so exciting, so much bigger than my world out in a dusty oil town in the far west of Texas. I enjoyed Alice, too, especially the character of Flo!

Becky K. said...

I'm so happy for you. She seems like a very nice lady. What unique opportunities you have living in NYC.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You look wonderful, Carol. Linda is fortunate to have a fan who would stand out in the cold for an autograph. I bet she was just as happy to see you as you were to see her.

Nadine_Feldman said...

I didn't care for this play, but she was fantastic! I would watch Linda Lavin read the phone book.

Sr. Ann Marie said...

What a wonderful experience and a fabulous photo! I also enjoyed Linda Lavin in Alice.

Pondside said...

Only in NYC! You are so lucky to live in such a place, and so wise to enjoy it as you do.

Mimi said...

I live way in the country, so waiting at the stage door is not one of my activities. BUT sometimes the stars come to you! A couple of weeks ago, we had a knock on our door. It was the location manager of a movie being made and he asked if their crew could park in front of our house for a couple of days. Turns out is was a crew of 100 and about 30 vehicles at the peak. How surprised we were to see Josh Brolin standing in our front yard. So, yes--it is possible to see celebrities in the country.