Powered by Blogger.

Monkey Monday Goes to the Baseball Game

 
Pepe's first ride on the Staten Island Ferry. He was one happy monkee!
  

Pepe and I are both baseball fans. To celebrate our mutual birthdays I planned a trip to Staten Island to see the Staten Island Yankees play. Pepe was wearing his Yankees uniform -- Build a Bear Workshop has a complete array of monkey-sized sports uniforms  -- and I had my Yankees shirt. Alas, no selfies of me in my navy blue.

I did have concerns about carrying around a stuffed monkey in a baseball uniform, but being New York no one gave us a second look. Not that Pepe would have cared. He was engrossed in the game. I turned my tote bag into a monkey booster seat and he had a great view of the action.

We had a foggy night that ended in a rainstorm. The view from the stadium is a great one, with Manhattan in the distance, but the fog, and then the light rain, obscured it.

The theme of the evening was "Star Wars," and a lot of the activity staff was in Star Wars dress. Princess Leia and a Wookiee are waiting for an inter-inning event and even the team Mascot, Scooter the Holy Cow, had a black cape to join the festivity.

The game was really fun and it's always a treat when your team wins. 


"Stand beside her and guide her, through the night with the light from above."
 
We rode the ferry back to Manhattan after the game. I've ridden the ferry many times, but the view never gets old. I hoped for a clear night and pictures of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. The skyline was totally hidden in fog and this was the best photograph I got of the Statue of Liberty. Initially I was disappointed, but I love the light behind the Lady in the Harbor. This phrase from "G'd Bless America" came into my mind the moment I saw the picture.  
 
Somehow it is the middle of July. How this summer is flying by. Just ten days from now I will be traveling to Connecticut for the wedding of my childhood friend's daughter. I've had a long checklist and now I'm down to the final items. Dress has been altered, hair appointment is made, transportation is arranged. Next stop -- joy, laughter and a few tears of happiness. And yes, there will be pictures.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!

7 comments

Jane Housewright said...

I really enjoyed this post, Carol, from the pictures of that dashing monkey, Pepe, to the very evocative photo of the New York skyline.
I hope you have a lovely time at the wedding. It's a bit sobering to realize that the children of our generation are all grown and launched into lives of their own.

TARYTERRE said...

Love Pepe in his yankee duds. That skyline is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Pepe looks so cute.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a great picture of the statue of Liberty. Very impressive indeed. Summer is flying by.

Linda said...

Pepe!! So nice to see you, wink. George sends his regards, smiles.

Thank you Carol, I really enjoyed this post...the Statue of Liberty is quite impressive...smiles

Susie said...

Buttercup, I would dearly love to see the Yankees play. We have a fellow in our town who has cheered for the Yankee about 50 years. He wears Yankee caps all the time. I call him Yankee Doodle. He always laughs. Blessings to you. I loved the Liberty photo. xoxo, Susie

Melinda said...

A fun trip for you both!!

Enjoy your Sunday.

M : )