Powered by Blogger.

Sometimes It's Just Around the Corner


One of my goals for 2017 was to be a more faithful Instagram poster. My goal was to post every day, and while I didn't achieve it, I came very close. I didn't have a set plan and mixed food, travel and various pictures of New York City. I just posted pictures I enjoyed.

This morning Facebook started to show groups of pictures from Instagram with the hashtag #2017bestnine. I couldn't resist letting the app go through my Instagram pictures to locate the nine pictures with the most "likes." I was shocked by the results. I expected the most "glamorous" lights and dazzle pictures of New York City to comprise the top nine. The top picture (top left) was taken at Grand Central Station when I was waiting to buy a cup of coffee.  The only Christmas picture that made the top nine was a lovely, but very simple picture of a doorway in Brooklyn Heights. The sunflowers were taken at one of the local farmer's markets and the autumn leaves were photographed literally a block up the street. There are two museum pictures and there is one "travel" picture taken in Iceland and spectacular. But there are also photographs taken on my walk home from the supermarket and the drugstore.

I learned a great lesson today. It's not a new one, but one worth learning again and again. Some of my best moments, not unlike my most liked pictures, take place just around the corner. I do travel far and wide (and hope to keep traveling far and wide), but there are great times right here at home. Here's to museums and sunflowers and autumn leaves!

I'm going to continue my Instagram posts in 2018 and my goal will once again plan to post every day. If you're an Instagram user, please click the link and join me in 2018.   

On a very different note I can't end this post without noting the loss of one of my favorite authors, Sue Grafton, who passed away yesterday. Her alphabet mysteries, featuring private investigator Kinsey Millhone, were among my favorite books for the last thirty five years. Sue Grafton, you and Kinsey will be sorely missed.

It's still chilly (a definite understatement) here, but happily I'm cozy in my apartment. I'm feeling more energetic, and coughing less, but still not my usual self. Because it's so cold, I have no interest in going more than a block or two from home.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and keep cozy!
 

7 comments

Chatty Crone said...

I haven't gotten into Instagram yet, but if I do I will join you!
Happy New Year!

TARYTERRE said...

love the instagram photos. i will miss sue grafton too.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad I can keep up with blogger let alone FB and Instagram. Yes, many of us will miss Sue Grafton, but her books will live on forever.

Theresa said...

Love seeing your posts about your beautiful city. 2018 is the year I plan to visit again. Have a blessed evening and a happy and healthy New Year.

It's me said...

Happy new year!!!....Thanks for last blogyear ...love Ria x ❤️

Lonni said...

Well said, Carol- some of the simplest moments are among the most meaningful. Good reminder to not take anything for granted.

Anonymous said...

I am not on instagram, but have thought of doing something similar just on my blog - a photo a day. I was sad to learn of Ms. Grafton's passing too. I've read many of her books.