Powered by Blogger.

I Is for the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT)

We're not late! We're just in time for I
 
In order to do this series I've spent time reviewing the list of subway stations. Some letters I didn't need to think about -- G was Grand Central and T will be Times Square. But a few of the other letters are challenges. My first challenge was "I." I couldn't find a station, so I dug into rapid transit history for the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT).  Generally referred to as the IRT this was the company that constructed and ran the first subway line in New York City. It opened in October 1904 and ran from City Hall in Lower Manhattan to 145th Street and Broadway. As the population of the city grew underground transportation was the only way to move millions of people every day and construction followed in the following decades. 
 
I chose the 50th Street station on the local line for "I." This was my stop on the way to work for almost ten years and I became very familiar with the wonderful Alice in Wonderland ceramic mosaics by Liliana Porter. 
 
 
  
 This is the scene when I climb the stairs out of the station and turn south, Times Square. 
We've gone from one wonderland to another very different wonderland.  
 
Tomorrow our  A to Z Blogging Challenge visit will be a station downtown and we'll get to see one of my favorite buildings in New York City. Please be part of the fun.   

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a wonderful Wednesday.
 


7 comments

TARYTERRE said...

the town is full of artwork in unusual places. i love these ceramic mosaics by Liliana Porter too.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am so enjoying this train ride around NYC. You picked a great theme, Carol.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I look forward to every entry. There is so much to see and so much history there. Alice in Wonderland is a good description for the transit system there. Wonders to see at every stop.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What beautiful mosaics...I had no idea you could see anything like this. WOW!

Chatty Crone said...

I watch GMA every morning and think of you. Times square is awesome. There is another big snow coming!

Susie said...

Carol, That is one thing about your big city....plenty of art work. You do not have to go to a museum to see art when in NYC. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

JazzFeathers said...

Wow! Love the ceramic mosaic!