Powered by Blogger.

L Is for Lincoln Center Station

 
The Plaza at Lincoln Center and the Metropolitan Opera House

My subway line is the #1, and no, that's not a hashtag. I live near the station at West 86th and at least once a week I take the subway three stops to Lincoln Center and West 66th Street. There is a farmer's market on Wednesdays, my gym is two blocks south and one of the local movie theaters is two blocks north. Even though I've probably gone to this station at least 500 times in the last five years and perhaps a thousand more times in the years I've lived in the neighborhood, the thrill of stepping out of the subway and seeing Lincoln Center has not grown stale. I doubt if it ever will.  
 
Dante Park, one of my year round favorite places to sit and enjoy New York City 
 
Across the street from Lincoln Center is Dante Park. Established in 1921 to honor the Italian poet, the park includes a section with tables and chairs. It is a great place to people watch, drink a cup of coffee and enjoy a spring day. We haven't had many days yet to sit out and watch the world walk by on Broadway, but I'm hoping these almost late winter days -- Today, I'm talking to you! -- will soon be history.    


Dante Park at Christmas.
 

When I want to sit out and have a cup of coffee -- and for a treat, a perfect cheese Danish -- I head to Breads Bakery at 63rd Street and Broadway. Actually I head to Breads Bakery for a cup of coffee after I visit the gym, for a loaf of bread to bring to a friend's dinner party or to buy the best chocolate babka anywhere. I am greeted by the perfect aroma of butter and sugar, which next to the scent of lilac may be my favorite. The coffee is excellent and though I'd love a Danish (or two) at each visit I am content/delighted with the tiny samples that are passed around. I know citizens of Buttercupland who don't live in New York may be taken aback by the price of the Danish pastry. If it was an ordinary Danish, I wouldn't even share the photograph. But one buttery, flaky near-perfect Danish is rich and filling enough for two people and definitely worth the price. If anyone wants to do a taste test with me, it's my treat!

I'm getting hungry just looking at the Danish. Happily tomorrow is a gym day and I may just stop by Breads for coffee and whatever the sample of the day may be. I wish you all could join me.

I hope you've enjoyed this glimpse into the life of Buttercup and the Lincoln Center Station for our L post for Blogging from A to Z. Hint for M: We're going uptown!

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a wonderful Wednesday!
 

7 comments

Marcy said...

How wonderful to live so close to the Lincoln Center! My husband and I were able to visit the area several times when we were visiting a year ago. And the Danish do look very tempting!

TARYTERRE said...

how wonderful indeed to live so close to Lincoln Center. That Tunisian sandwich looks mighty tasty.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

What could be better than Lincoln Center and a lucious looking Danish pastry? Great post!

Theresa said...

Beautiful! I want one of those danish pastries, YUM! HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh my, those cheese danish do look wonderful! Glad you have a reason to visit the area with your gym visit. We have very few bakeries in our area, I miss the local ones, but can travel a short way and indulge.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Delightful photos. I love that NYC has lovely little parks all around.

Susie said...

Carol, I love seeing Lincoln Center. I have never seen it in person, but many times on TV. It is wonderful. Oh my I would dearly love a cheese Danish. Those certainly look tasty . Never a dull moment in NYC. Blessings, xoxo, Susie